[SLUG] Last Meet

Chris Sutcliffe chris at snbcomputers.com
Sun Aug 15 14:17:43 BST 2004

On Sat, 2004-08-14 at 21:44, jamie wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I wonder if someone that was at the meeting on Tuesday could write up some
> minutes for the website, and for us that were not there? :)
>
> Cheers,
> Jamie
>
> Linux User: #314423  |  ICQ: 140365501
> Slug: http://www.scarborough.lug.org.uk

Attendance was up, there were around 12 people at the meeting. New
members John and Dave turned up again as promised and there were a few
other new faces namely Pete, Mark and Steve. Thanks to all of those who
turned up and made it an enjoyable evening.

The meeting was informal and people fell into small groups with people
moving from group to group as conversation topics changed. Some members
had brought in computers, namely Al, Paul and Carl and people were
gathered around these for a practical experience with GNU/Linux and
FreeBSD (installed on Paul's machine).

Examples of some of the many subjects discussed on the evening are:
using Gramps for geneology, digital comms and web site development.

Upcoming talks were discussed and Gav will be doing a talk on LaTeX at
September's meeting. Paul volunteered to talk about compiling a Kernel -
penciled in for November's meeting with October following the free form
type of meeting that we had this month.

as with my take on June's meeting, please feel free to correct any
mistakes I've made above or add anything that I've missed.

I don't mind doing the odd summary for people who are unable to attend
meetings, don't feel ready to start attending yet or as an exmple for
people browsing the web site and thinking about joining the group. I do
think though, that if someone were to make notes on the night that we
could have a more accurate summary. Any volunteers? Jamie?

regards

Chris
--
Chris Sutcliffe