[SLUG] Slackware

Paul Teasdale pdt at rcsuk.fsnet.co.uk
Mon Aug 30 11:26:10 BST 2004

On Monday 30 Aug 2004 09:39, Phil Kershaw wrote:
> Paul,

Hi Phil,

> Thanks for the reply. I know it is a while since I last managed to
> get to a meeting but still keep trying.

Wasn't having a dig Phil; just a honestly genuine long time no see
comment :)

> Thanks for your offer of Slackware disks. Which version do you think
> would be best for a P133, 64Mb, 1.2Gig machine. I would like to
> install fluxbox as a window manager. I have used Redhat with fluxbox
> fairly extensively at home and at school but feel it hides a lot of
> the basics from the user. I am hoping that setting up a basic machine
> from scratch with Slackware will be a good learning exercise and fill
> in some of the gaps in my knowledge. Hopefully!

I have a system that is exactly the same spec as above and run Slackware
9 on it complete with fluxbox. It runs a little slow but not
unbearably. I reckon Slackware 10 won't be much different and I would
certainly try that if I was installing the system from scratch. Give
Slackware 10 a try first.

Slackware is a great distribution to actually learn the underlying
secrets of Linux. Slackware does not assume anything and therefore you
need to figure it out for yourself. For those people who just want to
get on and use a computer Slackware is not for them but for people who
want to learn, tweak and fiddle Slackware is ideal because of the above
fact.

Slackware is based on BSD and it actually very simple once you get into
its internals however because Slack is based on BSD it's a slightly
different layout (eg: boot scripts and certain aspects file system etc)
to Redhat et-al. This helps to confuse me a little when going back to
SysV based systems because things are in slightly different locations
and operate slightly differently.

> If you could drop off the disks that would be great, or I could pick
> them up from you at work if that is easier. Which ever is easier for
> you.

I'll get you Slackware 10 initially. Where do you want me to drop it
off? Please bear in mind that I live 18 miles outside Scarborough. I
could post it if you have an address you trust me with :) Also I'm not
fussed about having the disks returned; I'll just do you a copy to
keep; no hidden catches other than another Slackware convert ;)

> Regards
>
> Phil

Kind regards,

Paul.