[SLUG] Talks / Demonstrations

Jonathan Worthington jonathan at jwcs.net
Sat Feb 21 13:14:10 GMT 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Chris Sutcliffe" <chris at snbcomputers.com>
To: "Scarborough Linux User Group" <scarborough at mailman.lug.org.uk>
Sent: Saturday, February 21, 2004 12:19 PM
Subject: Re: [SLUG] Talks / Demonstrations

> On Sat, 2004-02-21 at 10:38, Paul Teasdale wrote:
> [snip]
>

> > That's right. I will do a kernel compilation talk for both 2.4 and 2.6
series
> > and I am currently working on it. However I DO NOT look forward to
public
> > speaking and get the jitters just thinking about. Added to this the
cries and
> > jeers when I get something totally wrong and well who knows; I may just
curl
> > up in to a quivering heap.
> >
> > Please be gentle....
>
> I know how you feel, I said that I'd give a talk on basic SQL and the
> PostgreSQL database. I have n't started working on it yet but I am back
> on shifts, after a stint on days, and will work on it over the next few
> weeks.
>
> > On second thoughts lets get drunk first then who cares :)
>
> good idea :)
>
> > > An intro to CVS,
> > >

> > Good one that. I have never used CVS and it could be useful. I would
just like
> > to add "Has anyone here ever used MS SourceSafe (especially with VB6
> > integration)?" Crash... oppps... crash... swear... crash... you get my
> > drift :) Is my source code really safe?
>
> I'd be interested in this also.

I wouldn't claim to be a CVS expert, but I do work with it on a pretty
regular basis.  I could probably pull something together on this.

> > > Compiling software in general (while I've successfully done this
several
> > > times, it's been more by luck than judgement).
> > >

> > This is one I could do at some point as I tend to end up doing it quite
often.
> > Geeeezzee what am I saying; please disregard above comment :)
> >

> I will try and get all dates for 'talks' advertised in the local paper
> and this sort of thing would be interesting to new users and has the
> potential to attract new members.
>
> > > I'm trying to put together 'An Intro to vi/vim' myself which will
> > > probably take the form of an on-line tutorial.
> > >

> > Now there's an idea Al :)
>
> yep, small subjects could be given space on our site.
>
> > And now for my list none of which have been done during my short time at
the
> > LUG.
> >
> > + Basic shell script writing
> > + Basic networking (I could do.... digging deeper & deeper)
>
> did n't Gav cover this? Perhaps he could do a follow up?
>
> > + Integrating Linux with Windows environments (eg: Samba etc)
>
> very good idea and could be of interest to businesses.
>
> > + Linux gaming. I don't do games BUT how far have games come under
Linux?

> A few games now come with Linux installers and many that don't will run
> under winex. There is a very clever bloke out there who makes Linux
> executables for games that were meant to just run on windows. I think he
> gets some help from the games developers themselves..not sure. Can't
> remember the name of the site but Gav will, being a games addict :)
>
> > + Basic Linux admin in general (security, permissions, file system
structure).
> > + Basic Linux commands (eg: ls, wget, chown, du).
I'm reasonably familiar with these, then so are many...

> > + Configuring Apache (I have developing for multiple websites in mind
here).
> > + Configuring a mail server
> > + Introduction to Perl (a language I have never used but remain
interested
> > in).
If I'm good at anything, it'd be Perl.  There's a lot to say about Perl,
what are people most interested in learning to do with it?  The two big
things are speeding up administrative tasks and doing web development.

> > + PHP/MySQL
>
> Ian did PHP and PHP/MySQL would be a good follow up.

Equally, I can pull of Perl/MySQL.  Maybe do a talk just on MySQL first,
then look at specific language bindings to it?  An intro to MySQL is a talk
in itself...

> > There's loads more but this is a start.
>
> a good start m8.
>
> [snip]
>
> If anyone would like to do any of these talks please contact me when you
> are ready and I will try and get the advertising under way.

I'm happy to talk, if people want me to, when I'm around in Scarborough.
Next time will be 15th March - 15th April.

Jonathan