[SLUG] Talks / Demonstrations

Chris Sutcliffe chris at snbcomputers.com
Sat Feb 21 12:19:27 GMT 2004

On Sat, 2004-02-21 at 10:38, Paul Teasdale wrote:
[snip]

> That's right. I will do a kernel compilation talk for both 2.4 and 2.6 series
> and I am currently working on it. However I DO NOT look forward to public
> speaking and get the jitters just thinking about. Added to this the cries and
> jeers when I get something totally wrong and well who knows; I may just curl
> up in to a quivering heap.
>
> Please be gentle....

I know how you feel, I said that I'd give a talk on basic SQL and the
PostgreSQL database. I have n't started working on it yet but I am back
on shifts, after a stint on days, and will work on it over the next few
weeks.

> On second thoughts lets get drunk first then who cares :)

good idea :)

> > An intro to CVS,
> >

> Good one that. I have never used CVS and it could be useful. I would just like
> to add "Has anyone here ever used MS SourceSafe (especially with VB6
> integration)?" Crash... oppps... crash... swear... crash... you get my
> drift :) Is my source code really safe?

I'd be interested in this also.

> > Compiling software in general (while I've successfully done this several
> > times, it's been more by luck than judgement).
> >

> This is one I could do at some point as I tend to end up doing it quite often.
> Geeeezzee what am I saying; please disregard above comment :)

I will try and get all dates for 'talks' advertised in the local paper
and this sort of thing would be interesting to new users and has the
potential to attract new members.

> > I'm trying to put together 'An Intro to vi/vim' myself which will
> > probably take the form of an on-line tutorial.
> >

> Now there's an idea Al :)

yep, small subjects could be given space on our site.

> And now for my list none of which have been done during my short time at the
> LUG.
>
> + Basic shell script writing
> + Basic networking (I could do.... digging deeper & deeper)

did n't Gav cover this? Perhaps he could do a follow up?

> + Integrating Linux with Windows environments (eg: Samba etc)

very good idea and could be of interest to businesses.

> + Linux gaming. I don't do games BUT how far have games come under Linux?

A few games now come with Linux installers and many that don't will run
under winex. There is a very clever bloke out there who makes Linux
executables for games that were meant to just run on windows. I think he
gets some help from the games developers themselves..not sure. Can't
remember the name of the site but Gav will, being a games addict :)

> + Basic Linux admin in general (security, permissions, file system structure).
> + Basic Linux commands (eg: ls, wget, chown, du).
> + Configuring Apache (I have developing for multiple websites in mind here).
> + Configuring a mail server
> + Introduction to Perl (a language I have never used but remain interested
> in).
> + PHP/MySQL

Ian did PHP and PHP/MySQL would be a good follow up.

> There's loads more but this is a start.

a good start m8.

[snip]

If anyone would like to do any of these talks please contact me when you
are ready and I will try and get the advertising under way.

regards

Chris
--
Chris Sutcliffe