[SLUG] greetings and questions from a young penguin

Gavin Baker gav at supercowpowers.org
Sat Jul 17 00:33:21 BST 2004

Colm Osiris wrote:

> The startup DOS-like thingy (I think it's called Kudzu?) keeps
> complaining about ethernet ports eth0 and eth1, but I don't know why.
> I'm not planning on using ethernet in the near future, so can I
> disable this test?

What does it say exactly?

> The KDE interface looks very chunky on my 20" screen - can I change
> this? The screen will display up to 1280 x 1024, though I usually set
> it to 1152 x 870. But over on Linux, it'll only go up to 1024 x 768.
> It's an Apple 'Multiple Scan 20 Display', which was recognised and
> configured during installation. I don't remember an option to set
> resolutions.

This could be a few things... send me your /etc/X11/XF86Config and the
output of "cat /proc/cmdline". Also what distro are you using? And what
version of X? ("X -version") and what kernel ("uname -a"). The list
won't allow attachments, so just paste you XF86Config into a mail, or
send to me directly with the attachments.

> The colours all go funny when I open some applications (eg. Mozilla,
> where the 'dock' goes pink). What can I do about this? Is this related
> to the above problem?

Possibly related to the above yeah, lets have a look at that first.

> How do I get online (I have a dial-up modem)? At this stage I just
> want to be able to surf the net. I'm not ready to move my email over
> just yet! (Currently using my machine's Mac face!)

Sorry if you've said before, but what mac is it? Does it have a built-in
modem? Is the modem detected? (lets look at 'dmesg | grep ttyS').

> How do I get from the Linux OS to the Mac OS without rebooting? The
> other way round is easy, using the 'BootX' control panel, which also
> cuts in at boot time, as soon as the machine has recognised the System.

I don't understand this one :)

To get from Mac OS to Linux (or the other way around), you have to reboot.

You could run mol on Linux, to use your Mac OS under Linux though
( http://www.maconlinux.org/ )

> How do I shutdown Linux, as opposed to just my username, without
> having to reboot to get into the Mac OS, just so I can shut the thing
> down?

run "/sbin/poweroff" as root.

> Can I make a shared folder, which can be written to and read by both
> OSes? (Otherwise I'm going to get through an awful lot of CDs!)

Linux can read and write HFS, but only recently HFS+. What are your
partitions?

Regards,
Gav

(sorry for taking ages to reply, been out of the country)