[SLUG] greetings and questions from a young penguin

Colm Osiris colm at madcatsolutions.com
Sat Jul 17 12:29:42 BST 2004

Thank you very much Gavin, for your reply.

There's quite a lot there for me to investigate, including the good ole
command line, which I'm only just starting to use. I'll look into these
things over the next few days, and get back to you.

Some questions I can answer straightaway:

My Mac is a beige G3.

The monitor is an Apple Multiple Scan 20.

The partitions are HFS+. (I could repartition the disk, making a HFS
partition for a shared folder, but this would mean backing everything
up, and reloading it all - quite a big job!)

I'm using YDL 3.0.1.

The modem is an external Trust 56k.

What I meant about getting from one system to the other, or shutting
down, is:

 From the Mac OS, there's a control panel called BootX, which boots
Linux. Presumably this cleanly shuts the Mac down. There doesn't seem to
be an equivalent in Linux, that I've found, anyway. This means I have to
switch to Linux by booting using the keyboard. This worries me, as it
means Linux doesn't shut down cleanly.

Colm