[SLUG] Scanner problems

Pete Redwood pete at predwood.charitydays.co.uk
Sat Jul 17 15:25:54 BST 2004

Hi
Whilst being new to Scarborough LUG I'm not exactly new to Linux. I've been
playing around with it about three years with various distros.  Now, out of
frustration with Windows I'm 100 percent Linux (Suse 9.1) Because of this I
now have a problem - persuading my USB Epson 1670 scanner to work. It is new
and never been run on a Windows system.  The system reports the scanner as
Hardware: unrecognised
Device: unknown
Manufacturer: EPSON
Model No: EPSON Scanner

YaST declares, not unexpectedly, that it cannot find a scanner, lists it as a
USB device but will not volunteer a driver for it.
How do I tell the scanner module that this device is in fact a scanner and
then specify the driver it should be using? According to details on the SANE
webpage this model is supported and SANE is installed correctly as part of
the distro package

Any thoughts or suggestions welcome.

Pete
pete at predwood.charitydays.co.uk