[SLUG] July Meeting

Paul Teasdale pdt at rcsuk.fsnet.co.uk
Mon Jul 19 19:46:59 BST 2004

On Thursday 15 Jul 2004 19:25, Chris Sutcliffe wrote:

><SNIP>
> I'm not judging anyone, I mean we can't make it to them all, I think I
> was just a little stunned that none of the usual faces turned up and I'd
> just like to know if its worth me booking the Toby Jug for next time.

It is still worth booking the Toby Jug for next meeting Chris as I certainly
intend to try and be there at the next meeting. I too agree with Al that it
is probably just coincidence that only Gav, Yourself and the two new guys
turned up (welcome chaps). Ultimately it would be nice if we could get a
better venue but I do respect how difficult that is.

Also I know that I have not participated in any of the activities much just
lately but I have been working in Yeovil (with little choice) for our parent
company. Yeah but anyone can e-mail to the list I hear you say? Unfortunately
that's not so:

<rant_mode>
You see the thing is the company I work thinks fit to stop access to any
Internet e-mail related websites (eg: SLUG mailing list), any webmail
interfaces and to put it bluntly more than half of the bl**dy Internet. They
probably do this because some Windows software does one hell of an excellent
job of spreading viruses, adware, spyware and other crap around t'internet.
Furthermore if your windows PC is not full such crap slowing it down it's
full of virus checkers, adware/spyware detectors, firewall software and other
crap attempting to prevent the afore mentioned infestation..... and as a
result slowing your PC down. Result: loss - loss.

Furthermore our AUP (Acceptable Use Policy) states we are not allowed to
subscribe to mailing lists unless work related. Failure to comply and you're
out (maybe I'll give it try it then :). All this means I can't even look at
the SLUG mailing list anymore via the web let alone participate and it's very
annoying. I can't even get my own personal e-mails via webmail.... grrrrr!!

I am back in the York office now until the middle of August after which who
knows where on earth I will be? Things may get nasty (for me most likely) so
watch this space!!
</rant_mode>

.........and relax!!

Right as for the next meeting I intend to bring along an old Cyrix M-II 300 PC
that my sister-in-law no longer wants and install FreeBSD on it if it'll have
it. I would appreciate it if some could bring a monitor along as mine is a
pain to pull out and carry around (otherwise I will try and sort something
out). I have never installed BSD before so it's going to be fun. If anyone's
interested then come along for a laugh.

><SNIP>
>
> regards
>

> Chris

regards,

Paul.

PS: Fintan: I'm sorry you feel the way the you do but do respect your
decision. Maybe we'll chat on IRC sometime soon.

--
Linux User #351704 (http://counter.li.org)
Scarborough LUG Member (http://www.scarborough.lug.org.uk)