[SLUG] Re: Scanner Problems, Vol 40, Issue 5

Pete Redwood pete at predwood.charitydays.co.uk
Sun Jul 18 16:00:11 BST 2004

On Saturday 17 July 2004 21:34, scarborough-request at mailman.lug.org.uk wrote:
> If your using a 2.4 kernel, make sure the scanner module is loaded. If
> SUSE uses 'hotplug' this should be loaded on demand.
>
> If your using a 2.6 kernel, the 'scanner' module has been removed. Sane
> will just use libusb.
Its a 2.6
> Go into /etc/sane or /etc/sane.d or something, and load up epson.conf ,
> make sure the only thing that is un-commented is "usb", by itself, at
> the start of a line. The file will explain. I think the default for
> epson's is scsi. So sane doesn't look for them on usb.
>
> Plug the scanner in and turn it on ;)
>
> Run "sane-find-scanner". If that finds it, xsane and kooka etc will too.
Thanks Gavin. So far so good.  xsane now reports "can't open device
"snapscan:libsub:002:005"". That threw me since snapscan is Agfa till I
looked at  /etc/sane.d/snapscan.conf which does in fact list Epson Perfection
1670. However the first few lines seem significant. The first line says
"# Change to the fully qualified filename of your firmware file, if
# firmware upload is needed by the scanner
firmware /your/path/to/firmware/firmware.bin"
The line is uncommented. The only firmware.bin I can find is
at /usr/share/alsa/firmware/hdsploader and comprises four files
digiface_firmware.bin
digiface_firmware_rev11.bin
multiface_firmware.bin
multiface_firmware_rev11.bin
Does Alsa really play a part in this and if so which .bin file?
Further down is the line
# For USB scanners also specify bus=usb, e.g.
#/dev/usb/scanner0 bus=usb
Does this need uncommenting. If so how do I get this information. What I have
found so far displays it in a different format.

Incidentally Kooka still insists that SANE is not installed although it does
now list the scanner in it's initial choice.

Here's hoping you can help

Pete