[SLUG] Re: Scanner Problems, Vol 40, Issue 5

Gavin Baker gav at supercowpowers.org
Sun Jul 18 16:44:49 BST 2004

Pete Redwood wrote:

>Thanks Gavin. So far so good.  xsane now reports "can't open device
>"snapscan:libsub:002:005"". That threw me since snapscan is Agfa till I
>looked at  /etc/sane.d/snapscan.conf which does in fact list Epson Perfection
>1670.

I guess the 1670 has snapscan internals or talks the same language as a
snapscan.

"snapscan:libusb:002:005" looks good. The sane-backend knowns its a
'snapscan'. So libusb can obviously talk to it and get the device ID
from it.

It looks like all the snapscan scanners need a firmware file.
( http://snapscan.sourceforge.net/ <-- homepage for the snapscan
sane-backend )

Firmware is the software which runs the hardware... Like a PC bios...
But I guess they don't survive poweroffs. So you need the exact firmware
for the hardware.

 From the snapscan backend website, the firmware file for your scanner
is "esfw30.bin", and comes with the windows/macos install cd's.

(I've sent you the latest version off-list)

dump that into /etc/sane.d/ and change snapscan.conf's firmware line to

firmware /etc/sane.d/esfw30.bin

and try again.

You might need to modify permissions on /dev/usb/scanner0 or whatever.
Try xsane as root to be sure it's not just a permissions problem.

ps, it looks like only 2 epson scanners need firmware uploads! Your lucky ;)

Let me know,
Regards,
Gav