[SLUG] July Meeting

Gavin Baker gav at supercowpowers.org
Mon Jul 19 14:28:30 BST 2004

Hi Fintan,

Fintan Gaughan wrote:

>Sorry
>not coming to any meetings now as i feel its a waste of my time
>what we can do at the toby jug as what we can do on irc
>if no one turns up thats a long trek for me as for irc i can log out

Most real-world communities are declining. TV, SMS, and The Internet
etc, are making it more and more easy to stay in. Social interaction
just isn't needed as much anymore. Why bother going to meet people with
similar interests? If I want to know something I can get a book, or go
google. Why do I need real people?

Well for me the answer is simple. I enjoy meeting people. I enjoy social
interaction. We are social animals, we all do, right?

So for me, the SLUG is great. I can go and meet people who are also
interested in Linux and chat about it. What John has poetically compared
to "Village Talk" is far from a waste of time in my eyes.

The fact that I also learn things, and get different perspectives on
things I already knew are bonuses. I enjoy learning things, but If that
was my sole intent, I would take a course.

I enjoyed meeting you Fintan. Sorry you found no value in the SLUG, but
I hope you change your mind and attend the next meeting in August! :)

Regards,
Gav