[SLUG] Backing up OSX

Carl Dixon Carl.Dixon at newcastle.ac.uk
Fri Jul 23 02:35:10 BST 2004

> I have MacOSX currently occupying the whole of my ibook disk, however I
> would now like to dual boot the machine with Debian. I have a lot of
> information, and applications on OSX that I can't afford to loose.
>
> What's the best way of backing up this data, and reinstating it on the
> disk? I'm also not sure about the whole process of dual booting with osx,
> previously i've only done it with os9.
>
> Could someone give me some pointers? Or preferably a full guide? :)
> Jamie

I don't know if I'm up to a whole guide, but here are some things that may
help or at least be of interest:

If you are going to use Yellow Dod Linux 3 then it will dual boot just as
well with OS X as it did with 9.

If you have trouble with boot loaders then apple-x should force boot into
OS X.

There is a kernal called benh which I have been told is much better for
Mac laptops than the standard one (supports sleep better etc).

Forget what I said about backing up on irc, you'd probably be safer with
one of the shareware apps that are around, especially if you are resizing
partitions. cp will make an EXACT copy of a device, including all
partioning data and everything.

Let me know how it goes.
Carl.