[SLUG] Sound card

john at johnallsopp.co.uk john at johnallsopp.co.uk
Fri Nov 5 08:25:06 GMT 2004

> Anyway. The driver, in the form of a kernel module, that your card will
use is called emu10k1. Try this, as root.

>    rmmod emu10k1     (remove the module, if its loaded)

error .. not loaded

>    dmesg -c          (Clear the kernels internal log)

a screen full of "Device not ready, make sure there's a disc in the drive"

>    modprobe emu10k1  (Load the driver)

I got a weeny noise from the speaker

> Now if you do 'dmesg', you will get information from the module. If that
looks good, and emu10k1 doesn't give any errors, then the driver is
sorted.

Here's what I got:

Device not ready.  Make sure there is a disc in the drive.
Device not ready.  Make sure there is a disc in the drive.
Device not ready.  Make sure there is a disc in the drive.
~~
Device not ready.  Make sure there is a disc in the drive.
Device not ready.  Make sure there is a disc in the drive.
Creative EMU10K1 PCI Audio Driver, version 0.20, 10:12:44 Feb 27 2003 PCI:
Found IRQ 5 for device 00:0b.0
emu10k1: EMU10K1 rev 4 model 0x4001 found, IO at 0xd800-0xd81f, IRQ 5
Device not ready.  Make sure there is a disc in the drive.
Device not ready.  Make sure there is a disc in the drive.
Device not ready.  Make sure there is a disc in the drive.
~~
Device not ready.  Make sure there is a disc in the drive.
Device not ready.  Make sure there is a disc in the drive.
Device not ready.  Make sure there is a disc in the drive.

> Now test it, still as root try
>
>    cat /dev/urandom > /dev/dsp
>
> Press CTRL-C to stop it. You should hear white noise if all is good.

Nothing. For a moment, I thought YAY! but it was the noise of Ali turning
a tap on upstairs :-(

> If this doesn't work, lets look at the output of the last dmesg.
>
> Also, run 'aumix' and check your levels are up, and lets look at the
output of 'ls -l /dev/dsp' and the output of 'id' run as your normal
user (not root), in case it's just that your user doesn't have
> permission to access audio devices.

Didn't manage aumix.

I typed it at the console and got a page full of nothing followed by a
short message
aumix: SOUND_MIXER_READ_DEVMASK

In Gnu I used the 'run' selection from the menu, found aumix in /usr/bin
and ran it, but nothing happened.

ls -l /dev/dsp went like this:
crw-------    1 root     root      14,   3 Jan 30  2003 /dev/dsp

id (as me) went like this:
uid=500(john) gid=500(john) groups=500(john)

While that might look like a permissions thing, I'm running now as root
and getting nothing.

Thanks for your time on this, btw.