[SLUG] Sound card

Gavin Baker gav at supercowpowers.org
Fri Nov 5 15:10:51 GMT 2004

On Fri, 2004-11-05 at 03:25 -0500, john at johnallsopp.co.uk wrote:

> >    modprobe emu10k1  (Load the driver)
>
> I got a weeny noise from the speaker

Sounds good :)

> Creative EMU10K1 PCI Audio Driver, version 0.20, 10:12:44 Feb 27 2003 PCI:
> Found IRQ 5 for device 00:0b.0
> emu10k1: EMU10K1 rev 4 model 0x4001 found, IO at 0xd800-0xd81f, IRQ 5

Looks good. By the way, If you haven't already, disable plug and play OS
in your BIOS.

> > Now test it, still as root try
> >
> >    cat /dev/urandom > /dev/dsp
>
> Nothing. For a moment, I thought YAY! but it was the noise of Ali turning
> a tap on upstairs :-(

haha :) Sure it was the tap? White noise does sound like running
water ;)

When you say 'Nothing'. Do you mean it just sat there. Or it returned an
error?

If it just sat there, then your sound is working. You just can't hear
it :)

After loading the module, and running cat /dev/urandom > /dev/dsp for a
few seconds, do 'cat /proc/interrupts', and look at the CPU column for
EMU10K1. If that number increases, the hardware is working fine.

> Didn't manage aumix.
>
> I typed it at the console and got a page full of nothing followed by a
> short message
> aumix: SOUND_MIXER_READ_DEVMASK

Hum. Thats a puzzle. Do some random cat'ing on files
in /proc/driver/emu10k1/*, anything interesting ?

You could try a different sound mixer, but I'm guessing they will all
say the same.

> ls -l /dev/dsp went like this:
> crw-------    1 root     root      14,   3 Jan 30  2003 /dev/dsp

The 14 and 3 and the devices major and minor number. For a character
device, major number 14 means OSS (Open Sound System), and minor 3 means
Digital audio. So this is fine too.

> id (as me) went like this:
> uid=500(john) gid=500(john) groups=500(john)
>
> While that might look like a permissions thing, I'm running now as root
> and getting nothing.

Can you run through the above one more time, just to make sure we
haven't missed anything?

Also, emu10k1 based cards usually let you route audio out of different
plugs. So you can put audio out of all you sockets, even the mic one
etc. Check you don't have audio coming out somewhere unexpected :)

Gav