[SLUG] recommendations for a text editor for programming

Al Girling al21 at firenet.uk.com
Fri Nov 19 12:36:41 GMT 2004

On Tue, Nov 16, 2004 at 10:13:08AM GMT, John Allsopp wrote:
> Hiya
>
> What text editors do you use for programming?
>
> I used to use and like TexPad. Emacs for Gnome seems a bit hairy. I
> don't want to keep flicking back to the console as I have that bug
> where sometimes when I come back to graphics there's nothing, just a
> blank screen. So something in Gnome would be cool. Line numbers, split
> screen, a sensible tab indent, that sort of thing.

This may well surprise those who know my preference for Vim, but in your
position I'd really stick with EMACS as I'm sure it'll do everything and
more that TextPad does.  It just takes a little finding out.

If you have a bug then it needs fixing rather than trying to work around
it.  Although I do realise that's easier said...

Although I'm sorely tempted to suggest you try Vim, if you're already
familiar with EMACS then you'll look upon Vi/Vim with the same horror I
have for EMACS!  As they are two very different beasts, equally capable
in their own ways but neither are all things to all men.  I'm a little
surprised that the advocates of EMACS within the LUG haven't already
responded to your question with cries of "but it does everything!" :)

If you do decide to look at Vim then I'd recommend Steve Oualline's Vi
IMproved-Vim at New Riders.  ISBN: 0-7357-1001-5.  I think it may even
be available via download.  It'll start from basics, but also has
several chapters specifically for programmers.

HTH

Al Girling
Linux User: #290080            <http://counter.li.org>
Scarborough Linux User Group   <http://www.scarborough.lug.org.uk>