[SLUG] Mailing list use

Paul Teasdale pdt at rcsuk.fsnet.co.uk
Sun Nov 28 20:28:33 GMT 2004

On Sunday 28 November 2004 19:08, Stephen O'Neill wrote:
> <SNIP>
> My point is, I may sometimes hit the 'reply' button for convenience,
> but with the intention of clearing the subject line before sending.
> Is this adequate to avoid such wonderful internet-ified tongue
> lashings?

I'm no expert but I think it's the In-Reply-To and/or Reference headers
that enable threading work. I think the In-Reply-To contains the unique
Message ID of the previous e-mail it is referring to. Again I'm not
certain but hitting 'reply' and clearing the subject is probably not
adequate to start a new thread as your mail client will insert these
headers exactly because of the fact that you hit 'reply'.

To clear things up I assume it's OK to hit 'reply' to something that is
relevant to the current subject thread and use 'new' only to start a
new subject thread?

Regards,

Paul.

--