[SLUG] Did you hear that fanfare?

john at johnallsopp.co.uk john at johnallsopp.co.uk
Wed Oct 13 17:36:59 BST 2004

Hi all

Did you hear that fanfare?

It was to celebrate the fact that I've begun, for the first time, after
much procrastination, to install Red Hat Linux 9.

Why that? Cus that's the book and CD I've got and I'm working through the
book.

I've dispatched the fanfairies now, and I've got the first of many
questions for you.

I've booted from CD, and I've got only a very little way. I've selected
the language, and the keyboard config.

The book says I should then be configuring my mouse, but it's taken me to
Installation Method: What type of media contains the packages to be
installed: Local CDROM, HD, NFS image, FTP, HTTP. I chose CDROM.

Then: THe Red Hat Linux CD was not found in any of your CDROM drives.
Please insert the Red Hat Linux CD and press OK to retry.

I've pressed the eject button on the CD drive, and nothing's happening.

What's my next step? Literally .. should I power down and start again or
what?

Is it that it's booted into Linux and, because I haven't set up my CD yet,
it can't find my CD (a recursive installation bastard)?

Is it that my CD drive just died?

Incidentally, there are two hard discs, one with Windows XP on it, and the
other's new. All that's happened with that is XP has 'recognised' it, so
I'm not sure whether fdisk is necessary, whether XP has commandered it for
itself, or whether Linux will take it over. I presume the latter.

Cheers