[SLUG] Recovering NTFS files with live CDs

Paul Teasdale pdt at rcsuk.fsnet.co.uk
Sun Oct 24 14:04:34 BST 2004

On Saturday 23 Oct 2004 23:29, Al Girling wrote:
> We're having a bit of a problem here at the moment.  Ali's XP machine
> is completely FUBAR.  There are files on the HD which we would very
> much like to save though.

I know this is not a Windows mailing list but how FUBAR is Ali's PC? It
may be possible to boot into safe mode or a command-line recovery
console and take some action? It may also be possible to re-install XP
without killing all your current files and settings, in essence, just
refreshing the OS. It may also be possible to boot the XP disk into a
recovery console.

These actions of course depend on the state of the system and what Ali
has already tried to recover the system. These days PC's with XP
installed tend to only come with recovery disks that put the system
back to its delivered state or worse still no disks at all.

Assuming Ali has not tried any these things then I will be happy to
advise should you wish.

> 'System is read only'.

Jamie is right when he says the floppy will probably be (but not
necessarily) FAT formatted. If you're not sure then I think you can use
the fdformat command under Linux to make a DOS (FAT) formatted disk.

> Or because writing to NTFS file system is still experimental and not
> supported.

Copying files from your XP NTFS file system you should only need read
access (but obviously write access to your floppy disk or whereever the
file are being copied to). Not trying to be funny or anything but is
the floppy disk write-protected?

Regards,

Paul

--