[SLUG] Multiple Disk Strategy

Stephen soneill84 at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Oct 24 18:18:05 BST 2004

Hi all,

Please can I call on your greater collective experience...

I currently have 2 hard drives - one 120gb ntfs in 2 partitions inc
windows; the other is 60gb running linux partitioned as per the fedora
default.

Now, 100gb of ntfs is effectively wasted as I cannot write to it from
linux, therefore I am intending on nuking it to a nice linux writable
format.

I have 2 questions:

1) What filesystem would you recommend for a partition that is intended
for data only - my system uses ext3, but is that overkill given the
whole journalling thing? Would I be better using a lighterweight
filesystem ... or am I missing the point?

2) What would be the best strategy for using the space on a disk
separate from the main system? I mean, I imagine that I should just move
the entire /home directory to the 2nd disk... but will that break things
if I make /home a symbolic link to the other filesystem... or can I
mount the 2nd disk on /home???? Or am I doing the windows solution? -
what would a linux user do? I imagine that moving the user data to a
separate disk would increase overall performance... or would it?

Hope you can see why am a little uncertain?!

Thanks in advance!

Steve