[SLUG] Fedora Core 2 and X

Stephen O'Neill soneill84 at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Sep 1 09:15:59 BST 2004

Hi all,

Installed Fedora Core 2 last night... so here comes a troubleshooting
help request.

I'm also the dreaded linux 'n00be' so please be gentle.

FC2 installed without any problems... but when I boot I get the followin
sequence of events:

1) Get GUI 'I am doing this' on loading
2) Switches to terminal 'login' prompt and flicks to a blank screen 4/5
times ( I think it is trying to load X at this point).
3) Brings up a message saying that X failed to load. When I view the log
file the error lines say:

EE VESA(0) vm86() syscall generated signal 4
EE Screens found but none are useable
Fatal screen error
no screens found

However, sometimes it does load - e.g. after 2 attempts it loaded last
night, then it failed to load twice, loaded once this morning, and has
now failed 3 times.

I am running:

XP2600
1024mb ram
ATI Radeon 9600Pro
120GB HD + 60GB HD (the latter has FC2 installed)

I think the problem lies with the GFX card... but it's weird that it is
an intermittent problem, and it will fail to load after a successful
attempt.

I will attach the log file if I succeed later on... if you see what I
mean...

I'm obviously going to be googling for help, but if any of you have any
pointers for editing X config files then I'd be grateful :D

Cheers in advance,

Steve