[SLUG] Fedora Core 2 and X

Jamie Adams jamie at leafy.org.uk
Wed Sep 1 10:11:33 BST 2004

On Wed, 2004-09-01 at 09:15, Stephen O'Neill wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Installed Fedora Core 2 last night... so here comes a troubleshooting
> help request.
>
> I'm also the dreaded linux 'n00be' so please be gentle.
>
> FC2 installed without any problems... but when I boot I get the followin
> sequence of events:
>
> 1) Get GUI 'I am doing this' on loading
> 2) Switches to terminal 'login' prompt and flicks to a blank screen 4/5
> times ( I think it is trying to load X at this point).

Sounds about right. This is usually what happens when X is failing to
load.

> 3) Brings up a message saying that X failed to load. When I view the log
> file the error lines say:
>
> EE VESA(0) vm86() syscall generated signal 4
> EE Screens found but none are useable
> Fatal screen error
> no screens found
>
> However, sometimes it does load - e.g. after 2 attempts it loaded last
> night, then it failed to load twice, loaded once this morning, and has
> now failed 3 times.

In my non-expert position, I would say that your card simply doesn't
like the VESA driver. My NVidia card used to be the same.

> I am running:
>
> XP2600
> 1024mb ram
> ATI Radeon 9600Pro
> 120GB HD + 60GB HD (the latter has FC2 installed)

ATI does offer it's own drivers for your card. You might have more
success using these.

> I will attach the log file if I succeed later on... if you see what I
> mean...

That would be great. I'm okay with XFree86, but I think Fedora is using
the X.org server like everyone else now. I'm not sure what the config
file looks like. Post it and i'll have a look.