[SLUG] new website feedback

jamie jamie at leafy.org.uk
Tue Sep 14 09:40:15 BST 2004

>  Jamie Adams wrote:
>
>  >I welcome any comments on the site, particularly if there are any layout
>  >issues. I have tested it in Firefox and IE but couldn't get Opera
>  >installed. I will respectfully ignore anything about the aesthetic
>  >design. You can't please everybody. :)
>  >
>  >Anything special anyone would like me to add while i'm having a good
>  >tinker?
>  >
>  Looks nice, like http://www.alistapart.com/

Very like, in fact :) That was the inspiration, along with the version that you did a couple of years back. They are very similar.

>  Some initial comments,
>
>  I'm not sure about the repeated navigation items and the mailto: link in
>  the main navbar, and the default font seems a bit small?.

The reason the navigation is repaeted is that some of the pages will not have the side panel at all, the document pages for example. So I thought it would be good to have the links at the top as well.

>  You can change that (c)SLUG to a proper copyright symbol with © IIRC.

Thanks. I was wondering about that.

>  The irc applet thing seems to have stopped the pages validating.

I'll be making sure all the pages validate before I do anything more with it. I only added the irc thing in the other day. I don't think it's a problem that I can't get round though.

>  Not wanting to start a design war; but can't it use a *bit* more fluid
>  layout? mozilla.org works nice.

Sorry, how do you mean? I like the new mozilla site a lot, but i'm not sure how I can apply the structure to ours.

>  Do you think the current structure/layout is the best idea, from a
>  design point of view? Shouldn't the main focus be the real life meetings?

Fair point. Would you give me some pointers as to how you think it would be best done?

Cheers very much. I appreciate it.

Jamie

Linux User: #314423  |  ICQ: 140365501
Slug: http://www.scarborough.lug.org.uk