[SLUG] Samba Headaches

Phil Kershaw pmk at kershaw.eclipse.co.uk
Tue Sep 21 20:53:17 BST 2004

Hi Rob,

Good to see someone else from the education world. I work in a secondary
school and use samba mainly for backups for a small group of users. Our
main file server is NT4. Samba seemed to install straight out of the box
for me and once the logon script was correct all was ok.

Have you had a look in the samba log files in /var/log/samba on redhat
9. May be something there.

If things have been slow when I have been setting servers up on our
network it has usually been a dns issue. Is samba trying to resolve
netbios names using dns? Although why this should be different for XP
clients I don't know.

Win98 clients use encrypted passwords but if this was wrong they would
not be able to log on at all.

Not a lot of help I know but maybe something to point you in another
direction. If it helps I can always send you our smb.conf file for you
to compare with yours.

Regards

Phil