[SLUG] Samba Headaches

Paul Teasdale pdt at rcsuk.fsnet.co.uk
Tue Sep 21 21:35:22 BST 2004

On Tuesday 21 Sep 2004 21:01, Phil Kershaw wrote:

Hi Phil & Rob,

Rob, welcome to Scarborough Linux User Group.

> <SNIP>
>
> If things have been slow when I have been setting servers up on our
> network it has usually been a dns issue. Is samba trying to resolve
> netbios names using dns? Although why this should be different for XP
> clients I don't know.

This is a really good tip Phil and fits in with my experience also. I do
have another suggestion also.

I may be totally wrong but I think Windows 2000/XP resolve netbios names
primarily using DNS but Windows 95/98/ME resolve netbios names
primarily using WINS. My suggestion therefore would be to make sure
that Samba knows where your WINS server is located (if you have one)
using:

wins server = ?

in your smb.conf file.

Hope this helps.