[SLUG] VLC/video output on secondary devices

Stephen O'Neill soneill84 at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Sep 23 15:51:12 BST 2004

>Best dvd software that I have found is VLC (video lan client).

But don't be silly and upgrade to FC2 beta versions of various shared
libraries once you have it working ... because that will likely break it
and you'll spend a whole afternoon thinking the problem's in your
xorg.conf file after you upgraded to an ati driver *blush*.

Anyway, speaking of such things... I have an ATI graphics card with TV
out. I wish to display video on occasion my primary display - TFT
monitor, but mostly via the TV out.

By default I can see video on my TFT, but only see a black box instead
of video on the TV. I believe that the problem relates to the mysterious
subject of 'overlays' which, it seems are used by dvd etc, and most
graphics cards are only able to show on the primary display.

I have been unable to find a way of  'toggling' the primary display
between TFT/TV to show video output.

The only way I have found of showing the video on my TV out is to
disable 'video overlays' in my xorg.conf (read 'XF86Config') ... the
result of this in VLC is that you get a completely different playing
window in VLC (without a lot of functionality, e.g. menu on right click
amongst other things), however it is visible in both displays
simultaneously.

Has anyone had any similar battles and found more satisfactory
workarounds? (bearing in mind I'm lazy and don't want to restart X just
to use a different display ;) )

Steve