[SLUG] Curious about F&B

Paul Teasdale pdt at rcsuk.fsnet.co.uk
Thu Apr 7 13:25:27 BST 2005

Ian Eade wrote:
>>>When you go to the (bloody awful) Farrow and Ball website
>>><http://www.farrow-ball.com>, put something in your basket, and go to
>>>the checkout, when it asks you for your credit card details, the
>>>padlock icon doesn't come up.
>>
>> The only time sensitive information is transmitted is when you submit
>> your
>> order. It is sent to https://securetrading.net/authorize/form.cgi which
>> is
>> a secure site.
>>
>> I dread to think what you wanted to buy though.... 8-)
>>
>> Carl
>>

 >However of more concern is that FAB (Tracy Island?) pay no regard to >the
 >Data Protection Act guidelines for websites and they are rather
 >secretive about shipping and returns etc. Maybe they just want you to
 >flock off and go to B&Q?

Am am not sure if this is actually law yet but there is other EU
legislation that they don't seem to adhere to namely:

A checkbox on the checkout payment page for the customer to agree with
your terms and conditions (with a link to the T&C's presumably).

Also, correct me if I am wrong, but at the point the user hits 'Submit'
from the F&B order page your personal information (name, address, e-mail
etc) is sent unencrypted to securetrading.net. It is then, only from
this point forward, any other information gathered (credit card details
presumably) are dealt with securely.

In short, *personally*, I expect any half decent e-commerce site to use
https from the point I login and/or checkout.

Chris also make a good point in commenting about how these companies
(eg: securetrading) treat your credit card details both during and after
a transaction.

Regards,

Paul.