[SLUG] Curious about F&B

Ian Eade webmaster at hammondgallery.co.uk
Thu Apr 7 13:56:10 BST 2005

-----Original Message-----
From: scarborough-bounces at mailman.lug.org.uk
[mailto:scarborough-bounces at mailman.lug.org.uk] On Behalf Of Paul
Teasdale
Sent: 07 April 2005 13:25
To: Scarborough Linux User Group
Subject: Re: [SLUG] Curious about F&B

Ian Eade wrote:
>>>When you go to the (bloody awful) Farrow and Ball website
>>><http://www.farrow-ball.com>, put something in your basket, and go to
>>>the checkout, when it asks you for your credit card details, the
>>>padlock icon doesn't come up.
>>
>> The only time sensitive information is transmitted is when you submit
>> your
>> order. It is sent to https://securetrading.net/authorize/form.cgi
which
>> is
>> a secure site.
>>
>> I dread to think what you wanted to buy though.... 8-)
>>
>> Carl
>>

 >However of more concern is that FAB (Tracy Island?) pay no regard to
>the
 >Data Protection Act guidelines for websites and they are rather
 >secretive about shipping and returns etc. Maybe they just want you to
 >flock off and go to B&Q?

Am am not sure if this is actually law yet but there is other EU
legislation that they don't seem to adhere to namely:

A checkbox on the checkout payment page for the customer to agree with
your terms and conditions (with a link to the T&C's presumably).

Also, correct me if I am wrong, but at the point the user hits 'Submit'
from the F&B order page your personal information (name, address, e-mail

etc) is sent unencrypted to securetrading.net. It is then, only from
this point forward, any other information gathered (credit card details
presumably) are dealt with securely.

In short, *personally*, I expect any half decent e-commerce site to use
https from the point I login and/or checkout.

Chris also make a good point in commenting about how these companies
(eg: securetrading) treat your credit card details both during and after

a transaction.

Regards,

Paul.

--
=====================================
In the absence of a confirmation check box F&B are most likely implying

Even better would be for online traders to provide full and proper
information so the user would know what they are letting themselves in
for. I have just finished writing a Terms and Agreement document and its
8 pages long, however every seller who has received a copy has digested
the information and no doubt prospective buyers will spend more time
looking at product information (such as the Terms) than they do the
product themselves.

I suppose this is the fun of online trading being like the wild west,
both the buyer and the seller are free to try and get away with what
they can before one catches up with the other.

Ian