[SLUG] Transcript of the Software Patents talk

Ian Eade webmaster at hammondgallery.co.uk
Fri Apr 15 16:28:46 BST 2005

-----Original Message-----
From: scarborough-bounces at mailman.lug.org.uk
[mailto:scarborough-bounces at mailman.lug.org.uk] On Behalf Of
john at johnallsopp.co.uk
Sent: 15 April 2005 12:07
To: scarborough at mailman.lug.org.uk
Subject: [SLUG] Transcript of the Software Patents talk

Hi everyone.

For some reason I got up at 6am this morning and thought I'd do the
transcript of the Farrell's software patents talk before work started.
At 8:30 when that type of nonsense usually stops and I start work, I
thought "I'm almost done, may as well finish it".

Well, it's now midday.

Anyway, I've done it <http://www.johnallsopp.co.uk/swpatBurnett.php4>,
it looks great, I've added some useful links where appropriate.

Farrell, if you feel there's anything else you'd like to add feel free
to yell. Because the article includes a few of your personal views I
didn't know how much you'd like to be linked to it, so I've not
plastered your name all over my links to the page. If you'd rather I
did (just in case it raises your profile), I'm happy to.

Oh, and there's a very curious thing going on with the Free Software
Alliance, if you search for that in the text, what is going on? It
looks like a spoof site, and the original one, but the spoof site a)
comes up top in Google if you search for Free software alliance (if it
were a straight hack, I can't imagine it getting top slot in Google),
and b) it seems to be part of the original domain. Very curious.
Unless the FSA was a joke all along. Entirely unsure what to think.

Anyway, enjoy :-)

John

Is a copy of this going on the SLUG website? It occurs to me that if it
is of interest to the group and concerns the activities of the group it
is only right that it does.

After all there are only a couple of articles in the docs section and
they were put there when Moses was still trying to install OS2 on his
lithium powered tablet.

Ian

--
Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.