[SLUG] LPI 1.102.1 design hard disc layout

Stephen O'Neill soneill84 at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Aug 9 09:28:58 BST 2005

john at johnallsopp.co.uk wrote:

>I'd expected to see here something about the different file systems
>themselves, FAT, NTFS, etc but there's no mention either in the spec
>or in the LPI cram book.

With emphasis on EXT2/3, ReiserFS, XFS...

I guess from a sys admin's piont of view they're all the same barring
some performance differences in different circumstances - the setup is
still the same as the implementation is worried about at a lower level.
If that's the case then perhaps the LPI don't worry about the
specifics... that said, the LPI stuff has sounded pretty in depth so I'm
clearly making it up as I go along.

Does the LPI want you to know the differences between normal partitions
and LVM (logical volume management)?

Steve