[SLUG] How do I tell if Linux supports my intended graphics card?

Ian Eade webmaster at hammondgallery.co.uk
Wed Aug 10 19:51:55 BST 2005

John

Graphics support for Linux has never been strong as there is relatively
little need, most people play games on Windows boxes etc. Even a
mediocre card and a standard install will provide most graphics needs,
but if you want to get a good card and get it set up as intended then
you're options are a bit limited.

I have a NVidia GeForce FX 5200 (on Mandrake 9.2) which is a few models
old but can handle anything you throw at it. For linux you can get an
RPM which takes care of installing the drivers, you may need to
recompile the kernel but its civilised and widely available.

Suffice to say that linux can run graphics far better than windows and I
have more graphics capability on linux than I'll ever need.

Ian