[SLUG] isapnp, possibly last visit, no harm in hoping

Martin Webb martin at webb.lcbroadband.co.uk
Fri Aug 12 20:52:35 BST 2005

I think I mentioned that I downloaded isapnptools, from freshrpms
(several references in lpic books and sites, and I wanted to understand
it), and they installed quite sweetly with ./configure, make, make
install (on Red Hat 7.3).
Tried pnpdump today.  It did a lot of writing that told me where it had
visited, and concluded that I didn't have any plug and play ISA components.
Experimenting with ISA modem, moved the jumpers around to make it PNP,
rather than the jumpers indicating this serial port and that irq.
pnpdump re-run then found this PNP modem component, and wrote an
isapnp.conf file (pnpdump > isapnp.conf).  OK, I can now use pnpdump,
and make an isapnp.conf with all the lines commented out, but it would
be an immense labour to find out what they all mean, what they all do,
and then make a proper isapnp.conf file that would configure PNP ISA
cards at boot time.
So I'm still pretty puzzled about this.
Conclusion: only follow me down this labyrinth if you intend to go right
to the end, then tell me how the last bit goes.
Martin