[SLUG] Printer problems.

Ian Eade webmaster at hammondgallery.co.uk
Wed Aug 17 20:53:52 BST 2005

-----Original Message-----
From: scarborough-bounces at mailman.lug.org.uk
[mailto:scarborough-bounces at mailman.lug.org.uk] On Behalf Of Jamie Adams
Sent: 17 August 2005 17:58
To: scarborough at mailman.lug.org.uk
Subject: [SLUG] Printer problems.

Hallo,

I've recently, against my better judgement, installed Mandrake 10.2
because it boasts improved support for laptops.

I have a HP Laserjet 1010 printer which I have succesfully installed
under many linux distributions (including earlier Mandrake versions).
Mandrake detects and installs the printer fine. Test printout looks
great. The only trouble is that it will only print the first page of a
document, with the rest of the pages coming out blank. It's really
bizarre - for the life of me I can't work out what's going wrong.

None of the Cups logs reveal anything odd. Any ideas?

Cheers,
Jamie

================================
Mandrake worked fine until 9.2 then it lost the plot, I upgraded to 10.1
or .2 and it was flaky, especially the graphics. 9.2 detected and setup
my Epson 830 from the start but that’s an injet.

I am currently using a HP Laserjet 5L and it does some strange things,
simply because it is expecting DOS control characters (line feeds etc)
but instead is getting Linux (Postscript etc). I have a bash script
which converts the control characters, I then pipe a print command
through the script and everything is fine. All I need to do is put this
script in the print cap and all print jobs will go through this filter,
this is what I am doing now so it is open to change.

Probably worth trying some sort of filter script which shows exactly
what characters the printer is receiving and then you could set up a
filter.

This strikes me as a bit mad but old Redhat was notorious for this and
HP Laserjets tend to suffer more than most.

Ian