[SLUG] Re:network plan

Martin Webb martin at webb.lcbroadband.co.uk
Fri Aug 19 07:46:51 BST 2005

mike drawneek wrote:

>1.	What telco connection is being supplied?

BT 2Mbps broadband

>2.	What make/model of modem/router/firewall are you using?

At present they have a 4 port, Netgear WG602, 54 mbps, wireless access
point/modem/firewall/router.  One workstation is wired, the other seven
are wireless.

>3. 	What sort of personal material will be used inside the network?

Occasional e-mail, non-confidential.

>4.	What sort of traffic will be flowing in and out of the network?

Mostly e-mails.  Occasional web search.  Storage of documents, once
produced, on one designated computer's shared files.  Very little of a
confidential nature.  Some finance, salary stuff, which is kept on the
PC on which it is produced.  Which jogs me to think this isn't backed
up.  I must remind them of this.

>5.	Does each machine have its own backup hardware?

No.  The shared files on the designated computer are backed up to CD,
by me.  I have demonstrated how to do this and explained the importance,
but no-one else does it.  I could do automatic backups to another PC's
HDD, but you never know who is going to turn off which PCs when they go
home.

>6.	You use a switch at the centre of your network.

At the centre of the network, there is just the modem/firewall/router.
It receives the telephone line broadband signal and distributes it, as
and when called upon, to the client workstation.  It routes calls from
one client workstation to another.  There is only one segment to the
network.