[SLUG] Twinning

Al Girling al at acgirling.demon.co.uk
Mon Aug 22 10:59:39 BST 2005

John Allsopp wrote:
> Hi ppl
>
> I'm still chatting with this chap from a LUG just outside Barcelona in
> a town the same size as Scarborough and I had the thought that we
> might feel inclined to 'twin' with them. They have lots of good ideas,
> and we do too. Linux is about people, so what about making, well
> essentially making friends with them.
>
> I can imagine maybe we make a mailing list containing people from both
> sides who want to talk about stuff. There's the opportunity to learn a
> little Catalan or Spanish, and for them to improve their English, and
> if we follow the 'twinning' idea, perhaps one year we can visit them
> and another year they can visit us. Who knows.
>
> Might there be some interest in something along those lines?

I must say I've thought of this in the past too.  While looking for
stuff on t'net in the past I've come across posts from various LUGs who
abbreviate their names to SLUG.  Sussex LUG (who I'm also subscribed to)
Sydney LUG among others.  I've often thought maybe a global SLUG might
offer interesting possibilities.

here's a list of fellow SLUGs found with a brief google;

http://www.sussex.lug.org.uk/
http://sluglug.ucsc.edu/
http://sluglinux.org
http://slug.org.au
http://stockholm.linux.se
http://www.slug.org.za
http://planet.slug.org.au/
http://www.slug.org/
http://www.suncoastlug.org/
http://www.slug.nf.net/
http://slug.gnhlug.org/
http://www.slug.on.ca
http://www.sar-net.com/slug/

I must say I was hoping to find a LUG in Scarborough Tobago, but there
you go!

So yeah!  I like the idea, but what about global SLUGs unit!

Al Girling

Home page:                  <http://al.sdf-eu.org>
Linux User: #290080         <http://counter.li.org>