[Fwd: Re: [SLUG] arrays]

Stephen O'Neill soneill84 at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Dec 1 11:50:19 GMT 2005

Jonathan Worthington wrote:
> In that case Java and C# could also be considered scripting languages,
> because they run on an interpreter too
LOL :D
> Perl can do object orientation too.  I'd also point out that for a lot
> of tasks you don't need OOP - it gets in the way more than it helps at
> times.
I totally agree, I certainly wasn't advocating in this instance.

Speaking personally I find for large systems OOP helps, but for
'scripts' it doesn't. Though as OOP is largely all I've ever been
taught/used I find it easier to grasp. I struggled many months ago to
write a small application using GTK, but given that I had little
experience with C/C++ I found it a tough transition and found I moved my
interest onto a line of lesser resistance before long.
> I guess I'd count as a Perl "expert", and I'm actually going to be in
> Scarborough for most of December and at the start of January.  I'll
> happily give a Perl scripting talk if anyone wants one (and hopefully
> drop in to a meeting anyway).
Hurrah! Our December meeting is Monday the 12th; The January one is
supposedly Tuesday 3rd, however I suspect it will end up being Monday 9th.
> I think I'll be in Scarborough more pernamently again after next
> summer too...
Good, well, I hope it's good. I don't think I have a face for your name
but I seem to recall that you have your own business and have bags of
experience writing Linux applications?

Steve O