[Fwd: Re: [SLUG] arrays]

Jonathan Worthington jonathan at jwcs.net
Fri Dec 2 03:12:19 GMT 2005

"Stephen O'Neill" <soneill84 at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> Jonathan Worthington wrote:
>> Perl can do object orientation too.  I'd also point out that for a lot of
>> tasks you don't need OOP - it gets in the way more than it helps at
>> times.
> I totally agree, I certainly wasn't advocating in this instance.
>
> Speaking personally I find for large systems OOP helps, but for 'scripts'
> it doesn't. Though as OOP is largely all I've ever been taught/used I find
> it easier to grasp.
Sure.  Speaking personally on my part, things are better now, but during the
90's there seemed to be a lot of OOP hype where it seemed a lot of people
thought OOP was the answer to everything.  OOP *is* a good paradigm and it
does fit a lot of problems.  Some large systems still don't always fit it
too well though.  I guess compilers, one of my areas of interest, is one
good example where OOP doesn't help all that much.  More and more
multi-paradigm languages are appearing.  Take a look at C#.  C# 1.0 was
pretty much all about OOP, but if you wanted to do procedural it didn't get
in your way *too* much.  C# 2.0 added generic programming.  C# 3.0 (not
about yet for production use, but the spec is available to read) really
pulls away though, adding in features to support functional and declarative
styles of programming.

> I struggled many months ago to write a small application using GTK, but
> given that I had little experience with C/C++ I found it a tough
> transition and found I moved my interest onto a line of lesser resistance
> before long.
C and C++ give you Stuff To Worry About (like memory management).  Frankly,
I really feel that C and C++ are the wrong tool for the job when it comes to
writing your everyday GUI apps, unless you need some kinda high performance
or something.  You're better with a language that does memory management
stuff for you.  Maybe like C# (Mono project + GTK bindings) if you want a
more static language or Perl or PHP or Python which also have GTK bindings.
It feels to me that for some reason the FOSS community seem to have some
fascination with writing such apps in C still.

>> I guess I'd count as a Perl "expert", and I'm actually going to be in
>> Scarborough for most of December and at the start of January.  I'll
>> happily give a Perl scripting talk if anyone wants one (and hopefully
>> drop in to a meeting anyway).
> Hurrah! Our December meeting is Monday the 12th; The January one is
> supposedly Tuesday 3rd, however I suspect it will end up being Monday 9th.
Aha.  I'm going to see friends in London and will be away on the 12th, but
Monday 9th Jan seems pretty much do-able.  I'll make a note of it.  If
there's agreement on me talking at that meeting, how long for and is there a
computer projector or anything (very vaguely remember something about a room
at a school, but that was a long time ago and I'm afraid I haven't been
following all that closely).

>> I think I'll be in Scarborough more pernamently again after next summer
>> too...
> Good, well, I hope it's good. I don't think I have a face for your name
Photos (not just of me - also of pretty places):
http://www.jwcs.net/~jonathan/

> but I seem to recall that you have your own business
Yup, pretty small though.

> and have bags of experience writing Linux applications?

Hmmm.  Kinda.  I've built a lot of web apps using the LAMP platform.  At the
moment one of my free time projects involves working on the runtime engine
for Perl 6 (aka Parrot), which runs on Linux amongst many other things.
Part of my work there has been Win32 support, but when I'm implementing more
general features (recent projects include better debug info and writing the
Parrot linker) they need to run on a pretty bewildering array of platforms.

Take care,

Jonathan