[SLUG] Next meeting subjects

john at johnallsopp.co.uk john at johnallsopp.co.uk
Mon Dec 5 10:44:04 GMT 2005

Hi ppl

So, if the forthcoming meeting is about reviewing Catux (and no-one
has yet popped up to say they'll actually do anything about this, so
please someone yell), then:

January, Tuesday 3rd: A preview of 2006, looking at forthcoming new
software such as:

SeaMonkey - Navigator, Mail and Composer on steroids

Sunbird - A mozilla calendar app

KDE 3.5

Gnome 2.14

X.org 7.0 - shadows and transparency on your desktop

MySQL 5.0.15

Samba 4.0

Autopackage - replaces RPM, APT and Yum

Skippy - ditch the taskbar

Looks like it'll be a bring a box day by any other name (although I
may be missing the point of that .. Al, clarity?). Maybe we each ought
to choose one of the above to play with and then to demonstrate in
January. If anyone doesn't have the Jan Linux Format (Feb's just
dropped through my door so you might just catch Jan in the shops if
you run), I can type out the key parts for the software you choose if
you wish.

February's meeting (Monday 6th) will be all about problematic hardware
.. printers, displays, sound cards that don't work. Maybe ppl should
bring along a problem PC of theirs and as a group, let's see if we can
fix it. Might be difficult without a net connection, but I notice a
friend getting a great wireless connection in the Cask. Or perhaps
someone (Dave W) might bring a wireless enabled laptop and see if we
can get a connection in the Valley bar.

Oh, another reason for the December meeting not to be a complete flop
is that new people may turn up as a result of reading about us in the
library.

Steve, all this in some summarised form (or not) can obviously go up
on the website. I know you know that, but I also know you're busy so I
thought me saying the word "Steve" might wake you up :-) Do tell if
there's no need for me to do such irritating things.