[SLUG] Nicely done display

john at johnallsopp.co.uk john at johnallsopp.co.uk
Thu Dec 8 16:21:11 GMT 2005

> On Wed, Dec 07, 2005 at 08:55:29PM GMT, John Allsopp wrote:
>> > I was going to take a free CD, probably including instructions to
>> tell
>> > me how
>> > to use the couple of programs on it Ive got, when I saw it was for
>> > Windows users.
>>
>> Actually, I've no idea what's on that CD. Is that true ppl? Is that
>> CD
>> open source software for Windows users?
>
> Sorry John, I didn't realise you'd not seen an OpenCD before.

No worries. I have been near one before but I've never actually taken
much notice of them tbh.

>  It
> seemed
> logical that the people we are trying to encourage are MS Windows
> users
> and as such little point giving a disc with OSS to run on a GNU/Linux
> machine.  Kind of preaching to the converted. ;)

Aye true. A live CD would be good to have too tho.

> If you've still got
> spare copies John pop one into a Windows box to see whats on it.

Well, you see, that involves getting off my seat and going to that
other seat over there. Ok, ok, next time I'm over there :-)

> You'll
> find not only a bunch of great software that installs straight from
> the
> disc, but some good literature too.  Like 'Free as in Freedom', 'The
> Cathedral and the Bizarre' etc.  If you reboot your machine it also
> works as a Ubuntu live CD.

Aha haha haha. Aaaaaaah! Groovy.

>> I will be dropping off some Ubuntu install discs probably tomorrow
>> lunchtime if that's any use.
>
> I still have another bunch of OpenCDs here with sleeves but no labels
> which aught to be used.  As it happens the OpenCD team have just
> released OpenCD-3.1 which has blender again among other small
> improvements.  Shame it didn't come in time to be used for the
> display.

Well I just popped in to check stock and after the initial rush things
are moving slowly, so I wouldn't make a special journey.

> I'll see if I can get the rest of the CDs to you for the weekend.  Are
> you still planning to man the stand to catch people heading in to the
> meeting upstairs seeing as the stand is now located in the main
> library area?

Actually, I've asked the organisers of the helper thing whether we can
move our stand up there with them. Not heard back from them tho. If we
can't, I'd be inclined just to move our display to the bottom of the
library stairs (if they'll let us) and let it do its own thing.

Someone ought to be there to dismantle it though, I guess I'd be
willing since I have store of other things SLUG.