[SLUG] Nicely done display

Richard Lung voting at ukscientists.com
Sat Dec 10 18:54:06 GMT 2005

On Wednesday 07 Dec 2005 20:55, john at johnallsopp.co.uk wrote:
>SNIP
>
> I might be being ignorant, but I don't think I know you Richard .. did
> you discover us through the library display or have you been a member
> a while?
>
>SNIP
>
> I will be dropping off some Ubuntu install discs probably tomorrow
> lunchtime if that's any use.

I found out about SLUG thru the fone book a year or so ago. And your contact
installed Mandrake 10 when I got a new computer. It was doubtful whether the
installation would succeed.
That was nothing to the despairing difficulties I encountered or made for
myself over installing Windows with my first computer, after Set-up failed.

Until Newbies like me can install Linux unaided and without daunting
compatibility problems with peripherals, then Linux wont be a practical OS
for mass personal use.

Rather than myself, the people you need to reach are starting out in life with
technical interests that will help develop the Linux system.

I dont know whether Ubuntu install is the final corner Linux needs to turn to
reach the mass market. I shant be needing it thankyou, because Mandrake 10
works well enough for Wimp use. ( I shrug off bugs and failures. )

Occasionally, Ive needed essential SLUG help with Linux program documentation,
such as Jamie provided recently for the Gimp.

From Richard.