[SLUG] Firefox 1.5

Paul Teasdale pdt at rcsuk.demon.co.uk
Thu Dec 15 08:33:51 GMT 2005

On Wednesday 14 Dec 2005 21:59, Al Girling wrote:

Hi,

> > >Just to make 100% sure does this mean that when you've found 'provides'
> > >can you then key 'return' to follow the link?
> >
> > I tried using others that were links and no, that didn't work I'm afraid.
> >
> > I typed apostrophe followed by the text. It highlighted links only, but
> > enter didn't follow them.
> >
> :-( Never mind.  Thanks for trying.

I have just tried the following under the Windows version of Firefox 1.5 and
it is slightly better (but not exactly how it used to be). Firstly in
preferences turn on 'Begin Finding When You Begin Typing'.

I then got myself along to http://www.maltonmc.co.uk because as we know it
uses frames. If you then type it will find the nearest match link. If you hit
return it will follow the link. It will find the link regardless of which
frame it occurs in. So far so good because earlier versions failed to work
across frames so it's slightly better thus far.

Now for the bad news. It will find any word regardless of whether it's a link
or not. So, for example, if you type "motor" it may find the word motor or a
word beginning with motor before it finds a link beginning with motor.
Secondly it still pops up the find dialog that Al hates so much.

So my conclusion is aimed at Al really. It's not as it used to be but is
slightly better than the 1.0.x Firefox versions.

Regards,

Paul.