[SLUG] lpi

john at johnallsopp.co.uk john at johnallsopp.co.uk
Thu Dec 15 10:54:24 GMT 2005

> Hi All
>
> I've been told some of you are heading down the lpi route im planning
> to do the same to improve my command line skills and you never know
> get a better job
>
> what books/training providers would people recommend ?

Hi Arden

We are. In the grand scheme of things we plan to spend something like
an hour a day working through the first LPI module
<http://www.lpi.org/en/obj_101.html>. The way we have it planned,
it'll take us a year to complete that, then we'll take the exam and
move on to the second module <http://www.lpi.org/en/obj_102.html> and
restart 101 for those who want to take it. New people who want to take
things faster will then have the opportunity to study for 101 and 102
simultaneously. In year three we'll probably move on to the
intermediate level.

We started in late June and have been learning all about installation
and configuration, so we've only just reached command line skills, so
you're more than welcome to join us just for this part. If you feel
we're too slow (we just want to be thorough and ensure we know it and
have time to practice what we know), you could try to catch up with
us. If you need to start now, you could happily start with us now,
follow the programme, and when it restarts next year continue until
you catch up with yourself, then take the exam if you want to.

The study method is basically self study. We've each found our own
resources and we make notes from those. At each LUG meeting (in
practice not, we email files to each other) we swap notes with others
who also have notes. That way we get access to all the resources of
the group.

Personally, when studying, I start with Brunson's LPIC1 Exam Cram 2,
and then supplement it with Dean: LPI Linux Certification in a
Nutshell, and possibly Siever et al: Linux in a Nutshell and Schroder:
Linux Cookbook although the latter isn't proving very useful for the
study (but useful in real life).

The next SLUG meeting will be on the 3rd January. Right now, we've
just moved on from 1.103.1 Work on the command line, and are working
on 1.103.2 Processing text streams using filters.

HTH :-)