[SLUG] lpi

arden arden at nildram.co.uk
Thu Dec 15 13:03:37 GMT 2005

On Thu, 15 Dec 2005 05:51:04 -0500 (EST)
john at johnallsopp.co.uk wrote:

> > Hi All
> >
> > I've been told some of you are heading down the lpi route im planning
> > to do the same to improve my command line skills and you never know
> > get a better job
> >
> > what books/training providers would people recommend ?
>
> Hi Arden
>
> We are. In the grand scheme of things we plan to spend something like
> an hour a day working through the first LPI module
> <http://www.lpi.org/en/obj_101.html>. The way we have it planned,
> it'll take us a year to complete that, then we'll take the exam and
> move on to the second module <http://www.lpi.org/en/obj_102.html> and
> restart 101 for those who want to take it. New people who want to take
> things faster will then have the opportunity to study for 101 and 102
> simultaneously. In year three we'll probably move on to the
> intermediate level.
>
> We started in late June and have been learning all about installation
> and configuration, so we've only just reached command line skills, so
> you're more than welcome to join us just for this part. If you feel
> we're too slow (we just want to be thorough and ensure we know it and
> have time to practice what we know), you could try to catch up with
> us. If you need to start now, you could happily start with us now,
> follow the programme, and when it restarts next year continue until
> you catch up with yourself, then take the exam if you want to.
>
> The study method is basically self study. We've each found our own
> resources and we make notes from those. At each LUG meeting (in
> practice not, we email files to each other) we swap notes with others
> who also have notes. That way we get access to all the resources of
> the group.
>
> Personally, when studying, I start with Brunson's LPIC1 Exam Cram 2,
> and then supplement it with Dean: LPI Linux Certification in a
> Nutshell, and possibly Siever et al: Linux in a Nutshell and Schroder:
> Linux Cookbook although the latter isn't proving very useful for the
> study (but useful in real life).
>
> The next SLUG meeting will be on the 3rd January. Right now, we've
> just moved on from 1.103.1 Work on the command line, and are working
> on 1.103.2 Processing text streams using filters.
>
> HTH :-)

Hi John

Typically im on late shift first week in Jan
unless I can fluke a call on the coast will prob have to make it to the next one

I'm told Im getting some lpi text books for christmas from my other half
(LPIC1 Exam Cram 2 and LPI Linux Certification in a Nutshell)

Ill then get a better understanding of how much work is involved
and see if I cancatch up through out jan "its usually quiet at work that month"

Ill be traveling from york and combined with working shifts will prob only
be able to attend one meeting a month anyway

Arden