[SLUG] Re: ubuntu

john at johnallsopp.co.uk john at johnallsopp.co.uk
Fri Dec 23 19:02:13 GMT 2005

> hello again john big red face here my system is 64 bit when it arrived
> brand new yesterday i put the 64 bit ububtu install disk in because in
> conversation-coywood computers had said they used it on their systems
> with no problems.i received an error message on boot up saying:-
> 72.117761 <0> kernel panic-not syncing aieee! killing interrupt
> handler.full stop i thought perhaps my supplier had conned me and it
> might be a 32 bit thence all the other problems i've  told you about.
> so----i had read on the web that SUSE 10 fully supported 64 bit, so a
> few minutes ago i inserted the SUSE install cd and received a message
> 'you are trying to install a 32 bit system on a 64 bit'- oh my god!!!
> back to square one.......i inserted the ubuntu 64 bit install disk and
> this time got an error message:- 48.261912 <0> kernel panic not
> syncing killing interrupt handler.full stop.
> if SUSE 10 is supposed to be for 64 bit why did i get a 32 bit message
> above mentioned  and can you advise on the interrupt problem hope this
> is not too confusing for you i'll try for the meeting on the 3.1.06
> all the best john baldwin

This sounds like it's going to need a few iterations before we get it
sorted, so can I ask that you join the mailing list and email that ..
many hands make light work etc, and there are plenty of people on the
list who know more than I do. Join it here
<http://www.scarborough.lug.org.uk/list.shtml>, and thereafter you
should be able to email scarborough at mailman.lug.org.uk. Those emails
are public and searchable by search engines, so just be aware of that.

I'll forward this message to that list.

OK, well, I've no experience of 64 bit, nor Ubuntu so I can only offer
generalities which basically consist of looking up the errors you're
getting on either Google, Google Groups (usenet) or in specific Ubuntu
help places. I just did that for what you said and didn't become any
wiser.

My gut feeling is that if your machine is 'that' new, you'll need a
bang up to date distribution disc, so the Ubuntu you picked up from
the library, which has been hanging around in my office since the
summer, probably doesn't give you much of a chance. Again someone
might be able to provide you with something up to date, or you might
be able to download your own, or maybe Coywood would create one for
you.

Again, I've no experience of it, but people seem to like Knoppix in
this situation because it survives as a live CD so its hardware
sensing has to be right first time. Maybe that'll get you started.

I hope other members can be more help. Maybe if you bring your machine
along to the meeting we can try a few different distributions. I've a
few cover DVDs, Ubuntu 5.10, Mandriva 2006, Gentoo 2005.0, Knopppix
4.0.

Cheers