[SLUG] Firefox and shared profiles

Paul Teasdale pdt at rcsuk.demon.co.uk
Wed Dec 28 18:00:24 GMT 2005

Hi All,

At the last meeting Dave had the good thought of wondering whether it was
possible to share one Firefox profile between different PCs and/or OSes.
Having a little spare time over this holiday period I decided to give this a
go this afternoon.

Firstly I decided to share a profile between two different Linux PCs using
NFS. This does indeed work very well however I was very careful to ensure
that the id of 'pdt' on PC A was the same as the id of 'pdt' on PC B
otherwise there would have been a mismatch between user permissions. This
could be solved with NIS but I'll leave that for another day.

Secondly I shared the profile between a Linux PC running Samba and my
dual-boot laptop with Windows XP. Samba is configured act as a full domain
controller therefore when I log on as 'pdt' I can access my Linux home
directory without any further login prompts. This works very well also with
no additional permission issues.

Finally I tried putting the Firefox profile on FAT32 area of disk (on my
laptop) and using it from Firefox in Windows which worked fine. I then
rebooted to Linux and tried using the same profile and this also worked fine.

So Dave your idea was a really good one and I shall certainly keep this
configuration on my PCs.

For those interested you make Firefox use a different profile to the default
one it creates by running:

$ firefox -profilemanager

This gives you a dialog where you can make Firefox point to any profile you
wish (and indeed have multiple profiles). To make Firefox start different
profiles types:

$ firefox -P <profile_name>

where <profile_name> is the name of the profile you wish to use.

The above commands work under both Linux and Windows. I should also point out
that in every case I used Firefox 1.5 and I'm not sure what would happen with
different versions accessing the same profile. Also in the case of sharing
the profile over a network I am not sure what would happen if you ran Firefox
on both PCs simultaneously. It does actually appear to run on each PC but may
have some undesired effects. Otherwise it works well.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Paul.