[SLUG] Re:Ubuntu 64 bit install

Paul Teasdale pdt at rcsuk.demon.co.uk
Wed Dec 28 21:31:02 GMT 2005

On Wednesday 28 Dec 2005 18:53, john baldwin wrote:

Hi John,

Firstly thankyou for your response. I was not sure whether you had subscribed
to the list or not before sending my reply but sent it to the list
regardless. I'm glad you got my reply.

> my friendly engineer called round and it took him about 40 minutes to find
> the required driver on the jetway disk supplied, and it crashed his laptop
> 3 times.afterwards  he commented that 'interwebsystems of  chester' could
> have included in the package the correct drivers on a floppy and saved him
> a lot of work.

I agree that the supplier of your system supplier could have provided a SATA
driver disk to make things easier. However I'm sure you'll agree that Jetway
could make things easier too. I hate it when you buy a motherboard and it
comes with a disk containing 100's of different drivers and it's not too
obvious which exact ones you need for your particular motherboard.

> he says that it will be some time before 64 bit gets into
> general use and there are compatible programmes to be used.

I use Debian as my preferred Linux distribution and out of almost 9000
different packages there are only a handful that do not work under a 64 bit
system for whatever reason so I slightly disagree with this comment.

I only slightly disagree because some of the package that are unavailable
appear to be the most used most notably OpenOffice.org and many of the web
browser plugins like flash. Also Debian isn't too easy to install (depending
on your skills obviously) but is very easy to use after installation
including seemless package management using the apt system.

> he dual booted
> my sata drive so i can install ubuntu if i want later.he commented that
> sata/raid facilities are pretty advanced for a user like me and i'm
> unlikely to use my bells and whistles if i'm not a gamer or doing advanced
> work with graphics,

They can be advanced but at the end of the day you need a hard disk. If that
hard disk has an SATA interface then you need to be able to recognise the
controller in order to recognise the hard drive and this isn't advanced but
essential. SATA is just relatively new when compared to IDE/SCSI and
therefore older operatings systems (including both Linux and XP) don't have
the necessary drivers built-in as standard.

> so now i've got XP on  and once it settles i'll have a
> play about with linux,

Well I'm glad you have got yourself sorted for the moment. I do hope you try
Linux again soon. If you can make it why not try to come to one of our
meetings. If I know you are coming I will be more that happy to bring my 64
bit system along for you to have a "play" with. How about the February
meeting?

> the fact that there are so many linux systems
> available with mixed results trying to install them mitigates against them
> unless you have computer skills in abundance-again thanks for the many
> interesting responses

I totally agree that the number of Linux distros available turns potential
Linux users off (in my opinion of course). Linux veterans call it choice and
argue that is a good thing (and it is in lots of respects) but for people who
just want to install and use Linux it confuses them.

As for the install process I find Windows XP no easier to install than most of
the mainstream Linux distros. No disrespect but I think what people tend to
forget when they complain about Linux installs is that they never actually
installed Windows themselves but bought it pre-installed with their PC.

Regards,

Paul.