[SLUG] decoding application/mac-binhex40 files

Paul Teasdale pdt at rcsuk.fsnet.co.uk
Tue Feb 15 17:53:43 GMT 2005

On Tuesday 15 February 2005 16:51, Al Girling wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> My No 1 nephew has sent me some photo's of a model car we gave as a
> present.  Not only has he sent several pictures over 1Mb in size (Ah!
> The joys of dial-up), but they are sent from a Mac which has encoded the
> files as application/mac-binhex40 which I'm unable to open.  A quick
> apt-cache show binhex give a variety of packages to try, but I thought
> I'd ask if anyone could recommend something before I go down the 'Irish
> mine detector' route.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> Al

Hi Al,

Install the macutils package and use the hexbin utility. AFAIK this utility
changes the binhex file back to its relevant binary file although I haven't
tried this personally. This suggestion therefore may only be as good as the
'Irish mine detector' route. Keep a backup of you original file(s) before
trying.

Regards,

Paul.