[SLUG] In support of Firefox

Ian Eade webmaster at hammondgallery.co.uk
Sat Feb 19 01:22:30 GMT 2005

Received from

ASSOCIATE PROGRAMS NEWSLETTER 256
February 17, 2005.
Published by Allan Gardyne Pty. Ltd.
as trustee for Allan Gardyne Trust.

A long winded way of telling you about the critical flaws in Internet
Explorer and recommending you install Firefox, exposure like this should
have a positive effective in removing Microsoft’s stranglehold and
providing people with a quality OS browser

Ian

"
2. IE vulnerability threatens AdSense

   ...and what to do about it =====================================
Yet another critical vulnerability has been discovered in Microsoft's
Internet Explorer (IE) browser. It was reported by the Danish security
company Secunia.

Here's the scary bit...
One recommended fix blocks AdSense from displaying.

As Jennifer Slegg reports in her JenSense blog -
http://www.jensense.com/archives/2005/01/highly_publiciz.html -
Secunia's first suggestion was for surfers to drop Internet Explorer and
switch to another browser.

Secunia's "alternative workaround" involved changing the set security
level in IE to high for the "Internet" zone.

Anyone who follows that instruction immediately blocks all AdSense ads
from displaying on sites they visited.

To see how this affects AdSense, try this...

In Internet Explorer:
Click on Tools
Click on Internet Options
Select the Security tab
Click on Internet
Select the "Custom Levels" button
Reset the custom levels to "High".
Click Apply.
Click OK.

Go to any site displaying AdSense, and you'll see blank spaces.

"This is actually very similar to the problem publishers have with
Norton's Internet Security, which comes free on many new computers, with
the 'ad blocking' feature turned on by default. Most users have no idea
they even have this option turned on," Jennifer says.

Here are the details of the "extremely critical" vulnerability in
Internet Explorer: http://secunia.com/advisories/12889/ .

As that article says, Microsoft has now issued patches to fix this flaw.

I'd already switched to Firefox, so I didn't need an IE patch, but I
installed it anyway to see what would happen.

I was relieved to see that AdSense ads were still being displayed when I
visited websites.

I'd received one report from a webmaster who installed the patch and
says the patch blocked AdSense. However, that didn't happen to me.

This was really scary.

I'm sick and tired of Microsoft's flawed software.

If you are, too, here's what I recommend you do.

Join the more than 25 million people who have downloaded the open source
browser Firefox. I have.

Dump your bloated, highly flawed IE browser. You don't need it.

Do this now...

  * Go to http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/ and download

  Mozilla Firefox. It's better, safer and faster than IE. It

  doesn't cost anything.

  * Transfer your bookmarks from IE to Firefox. It's a breeze.

  Firefox gives easy-to-follow instructions.

  * If you wish, install the Searchstatus toolbar, which gives

  you PageRank and Alexa rankings in the status bar. You can get

  it here: http://www.quirk.co.za/searchstatus/ . (You can turn

  off the Alexa part if you're concerned about Alexa's privacy

  statement.)

  * Congratulate yourself. You've made a smart move.

  * Tell your friends.

  * You may even become a raving fan. If so, you can go to

  http://www.spreadfirefox.com/ and collect bright Firefox

  buttons to add to your site.

Here's a nice bonus -  Firefox actually keeps my bookmarks in
alphabetical order. IE kept messing them up. That was SO annoying.

Join the campaign to get more people to switch to Firefox.

Tell your friends...

"Firefox is better, safer and faster."