[SLUG] Scalby School meeting

Stephen O'Neill soneill84 at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Feb 22 08:48:57 GMT 2005

>A question for the group to consider.
>Do we have the structures in place and the membership to use a facility
>like scalby school responsibly? By this I mean, is the membership big
>enough to have decent meetings? Are we able to organise a yearly meeting
>calendar with talks and activities arranged in advance? Or do I cancel
>the arrangement and we stay with dark, cold and uncomfortable rooms in
>pubs.

I think that the having the school as a venue is great.. if there's a
focus. Last night had no focus, I did wonder that the idea was to
discuss publicity for next week's persentation but given that only 3
people turned up means I feel justified for ducking out. My personal
reasons were a) my girlfriend's just got back from a month away; b) the
weather was a bit ropy; c) I get in at 6:40 and the prospect of rushing
down tea to get to the meet only to find nothing's actually happening
doesn't seem to appealing. However, if last night had been at the
Cricketer's and next week at the school then that'd have perhaps tipped
the balance.

So, yeah - the structure isn't there. I think that the membership _is_
there, but we all need to feel that we're getting something out of it.

So seriously - who is our group chair type organising type person? Let's
get at least the next 6 months planned out, that should give 3 talks,
maybe even only 2 if you accept next week's.

Gavin owes us a presentation on LaTeX. So that leaves one
presentation... but we have a couple of month's to think about that one.

So discuss and let's revive things a bit after this post-Christmas lull.

Steve