[SLUG] Just An Idea

Neil Davies ndavies at ntlworld.com
Sat Feb 26 11:19:23 GMT 2005

Hi All, I know most of you will not have heard of me but I have been on
the mailing list since the lug was formed. I have never been to any
meetings as I would not have a clue what you were discussing on the
technical side so rather than look a fool I just kept away. On buying
my first computer windows was deleted straight away and red hat 7 I
think was installed, having never used a computer before it was a
little scary, how do a get a driver for my printer etc I want my
digital camera to download my photo's how do I do that so I took the
easy option of pestering Gav  but I did not want him to do everything
for me, and it would not educate me if someone else was to solve
everything for me. Time progressed and I bought a new Mac which I now
run and a powerbook and one of the main uses for them is my digital
photography. The reason I am posting this is I have noticed the numbers
at the meets dropping and I was thinking what if the lug was to
approach the local scout groups sea cadets etc youth clubs and let them
know where the meets are and say one of you clued up members ( you
could all have turns doing this) took them to one side for say 1 hour
per meet and started from the beginning and got the youngsters
interested, I am sure you would increase the membership and get the
message across that computing is not just about windows, It will also
help the community by giving them somewhere to go and learn and keep
them off the streets at least one night a month, then they go home show
their parents and friends etc and you never know how big the group
could grow. Just a thought
Cheers Neil