[SLUG] Just An Idea

john at johnallsopp.co.uk john at johnallsopp.co.uk
Sat Feb 26 11:32:49 GMT 2005

> The reason I am posting this is I have noticed the
> numbers
> at the meets dropping and I was thinking what if the lug was to
> approach the local scout groups sea cadets etc youth clubs and let
> them
> know where the meets are and say one of you clued up members ( you
> could all have turns doing this) took them to one side for say 1 hour
> per meet and started from the beginning and got the youngsters
> interested

Is that YCC night-school course still running? I'm thinking that's a
good place for people to learn the basics if they want to learn
from/with people (rather than a book, for instance).

I'm also thinking that switching on a childs interest isn't something
that comes naturally to everyone. We'd have to really get into a kids
head to work out what they want. Not that I've got any kids, but I'm
thinking kiddieness is all about belonging, about not wanting to be
different. Linux is different.

I'm further thinking, if we were going to take scouts, etc. aside for
an hour, wouldn't we have to go through police checks and so on first?
I know my partner had to be police checked, along with everyone else,
to work in a summer youth group.

I guess there's the minor issue of providing computers.

Not that I'm pouring cold water on the idea or anything :-)